Things I gotta do in XP right after you set it up:
- See Things: Open up an Explorer window, go to Tools, Options, hit the View tab, and select “Show hidden files and folders”, uncheck “Hide extensions for known file types”, uncheck “Hide protected operating system files”, uncheck “Use simple file sharing”.
- Install Firefox: Well, heh…
- Install Winamp: You’ve listened to crickets for the longest time. You’ve got to have something! YAY FOR SHOUTCAST!
- Turn off the error reporter for Non MS programs: Because really, like they care that Firefox or mIRC crashed. It just keeps the dead program open longer (and may actually rescue it completely, turns out Firefox doesn’t fully crash on some bugs, just hangs, if you have dumprep off).
- Classic Mode: Does anything need to be said?
- Get the latest drivers: Because the MS drivers are crap!
I can’t think of anything else right now, but that’s because I haven’t recently installed in a while. Usually I have to try to get Firefox and Thunderbird to reacquaint themselves with their respective profiles, which I was new to recently, but now should do it just fine. Usually installing windows means onto a small partition so that I keep all my music elsewhere, so winamp isn’t just shoutcast…
Last time I installed windows, I was up and running and on IRC listening to winamp within 30 mins or so. I haven’t achieved anything since then.